car history checks

Used car selling advice

Used car selling advice. Selling a used vehicle
If you sell your vehicle privately or through a motor trader, you should notify the Driver Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) about the sale using the appropriate section of the registration document or certificate.It is important to tell DVLA as soon as you sell your vehicle or you will continue to be responsible for paying the vehicle tax or penalties for the non-payment of it. You may also receive mail relating to motoring offences committed in the vehicle. When DVLA have been informed, they will send you a letter of receipt confirming that you are no longer responsible for the vehicle.

Registration document or certificate
The buyer will want to see the registration document or certificate to allow them to check the vehicle’s details. You may not be able to sell your vehicle without one. If you have lost it, you can get a replacement from DVLA. Replacing a lost or stolen registration document opens in new window

Selling the vehicle privately
You should always keep a separate note of the buyer's name and address. You should tell the DVLA using the appropriate section of the registration document or certificate. How to notify the DVLA if you sell your vehicle opens in new window If you do not have a V5/V5C you can still inform DVLA that you no longer have the vehicle. In order to do this you must write to DVLA, Swansea, SA99 1AR quoting the vehicle registration mark, make and model, exact date of sale and name and address of the new keeper. However, you should note that DVLA records will not be complete until the new keeper tells DVLA in writing. Until they do, the police may need to contact you if they have to make enquiries about the vehicle.

Selling to a motor trader
If you transfer your vehicle to a motor trader (see note*), and you are in possession of a registration certificate (V5C) you should tell the DVLA of the sale using the V5C/3 section (yellow) and pass the rest to the trader. If you are in possession of the three part registration document (V5) you should send the V5/3 section (red) to DVLA and pass the rest to the trader.If you are in possession of the two part registration document you should send the disposal slip V5/1 to DVLA and pass the rest to the trader.(*For this purpose motor trader means motor dealer, a motor vehicle auctioneer, a motor vehicle insurer with whom you have settled a claim for total loss, a motor vehicle dismantler (scrap yard) or a finance company with a financial interest in the vehicle).

Vehicle mileage
Entering the vehicle's mileage in the box provided will help in the fight against vehicle 'clocking'. This is where the vehicle's odometer (speedometer) is turned back to fraudulently reduce the number of miles that the vehicle is recorded as having travelled.

Supply a Vehicle History Check
* Offering a completed vehicle history check may help you sell your vehicle by giving confidence to any prospective buyer.

Further information
Further information and advice can be obtained from free leaflets, 'The Car - Buyer's Guide' and 'Steer Clear of Car Crime', available from a DVLA local office or your local Crime Prevention Officer (ask at your local police station for further information).
Back to Top

Car check elements explained
Insurance loss categories in detail
About car history checks
Cloning and ringing explained
Car buying - legal rights
Motorcycle history checks
Van history checks
Used car buying advice
Used car selling advice
Used car buying checklist
Motoring links